Friday, January 16, 2015

Heart in the Wrong Place?

Does it make me an asshole to feel for this chick?




Here is my argument: 
A woman who has proven that she'll make bad decisions in desperate situations was handed tens of thousands of dollars and was told to set up a trust fund for her kids. She has never had that kind of money before and no real education on what to do with it. Is it really any surprised that she effed this up? Has anyone tried to explain the concept of a savings, interest, 401k or trust funds to a financially uneducated person? You might as well just masturbate instead. If you're going to waste 100% of your time doing something that ends up being of no benefit to anyone but you, just touch yourself.  
I think she should have been required to have a qualified executor to help her learn how to live a totally new way that would have benefited her and her kids. People keep picking jail as the solution instead of education. Education, more often than not, is the answer.
Here are three points of view from friends on my FB page. 

1: I don't feel bad for her but I see what you mean. My gripe is that she's an adult, does she really have to be handed or directed for everything? She seems to know how to look for employment, how hard could it have been to look for assistance with setting up a trust fund? Ultimately whether or not to place the money into a trust fund is not a decision, it's a court order. She didn't earn the money herself to begin with, why is it such a difficult decision? If I was given that much then told an amount had to go into a trust fund, I wouldn't care cause there's still a lump sum left.

B: I think she knows what's she was doing. You know if you're over spending. It's not rocket science. She's enjoying the free ride. If she would have used it to get a roof over her head paid in advance, and paid up utilities, and bought groceries, different. But she's spending over $4k per month... Do you know what you could do with $4k a month?! I'm not saying to not treat yourself, but be smart about it. Education or not.

GO!:Had I been in her situation when my kids were little, I might have been her. Hell, I still might be her. Yeah she should have put the money in trust. But damn, when you have been poor for a long time it is nice to buy the "luxuries" the article talks about like cable and clothes. She never intended on blowing the money, really I doubt she did. She just wanted to try it out. I get it. Not that it makes it right, but I get it. Having that money forced into a trust and/or financial counseling would have made all the difference.

I understand what my friends are saying. I genuinely believe they are the voice of the of the average hard-working American. But here is why they're wrong: 

KD*: I'm an adult and I would have to be directed if I decided to start, like, "doing" the stock market. Please feel free to replace "doing' with the right terminology. lmbo I wasn't taught about money growing up and if it weren't for [a friend]  I would keep my money rolled in a sock, pinned to my bra. 

She said in an interview, "I can move the money over and put it into place, but if doesn't take care of the children, it's futile," Taylor said. "It would lock them out of their money if they didn't go to college."

Her sons are 2 years old and 6 months old. She has to convince herself that she has what it takes to get her kids into college 16/18 years from now. That's life changing thinking for a person to have to do in an instant and under the threat of going to jail. I understand why she would agree to do this to avoid jail time. But I really don't think she knew at the time  what a trust is. It's a very difficult decision to put $60,000 in a trust when you're scared that your kids won't go to college. She feels like the trust could be throwing it all away. She may feel like she's gambling with the money. I can understand that fear. And that's really where my feels for her come from.

I don't think setting up a trust fund is as important as her getting an education first. Then she can lead by example. I think she should go to Everest or something like that and learn a career trade. Then it may be easier for her to see a brighter future for her kids. 


Why say you guys? Am I being a vag or do you agree that financial education is essential when a person comes into a large sum of money.



*denotes knowledge has been dropped. 


1 comment :

  1. Very Insightful and Great point about the teaching the mom about financial responsibility. Instead of Judging people we must first understand their backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete